In-person authentication solutions are unavailable until further notice as a result of situation regarding COVID-19. Our mail-in service continues.
For up-to-date all about processing time, see Processing times.
On this web web page
- Check always whether your articles should be authenticated
- Get the document translated
- Reasons we can’t authenticate your document
- Intending to make use of your document in Canada?
- Processing times
- Provincial and territorial verification solutions
Authentication is frequently needed if your wanting to may use A canadian public document abroad. To be authenticated, your document needs to be a initial document bearing an established signature (and seal, if relevant). Authentication demonstrates that the signature plus the seal in the document are genuine.
Far away, verification can be called apostille or legalization.
Always check whether your write-ups should be authenticated
Verify requirements by contacting the embassy, high payment, or consulate of this nation where your document are going to be utilized:
Get the document translated
Is perhaps all or section of your document written in a language except that English or French? In that case, you need to deliver a professional, notarized interpretation along with it.
What exactly is a translation that is certified? It really is an interpretation this is certainly certified by a known person in:
- the translators that are canadian Terminologists and Interpreters Council, or
- an accepted provincial interpretation relationship
Some nations might need a translatorвЂ™s affidavit. An affidavit needs to be finalized and sealed by way of A canadian notary.
Exception: We do not require translations for Canadian university diplomas released in Greek or Latin.
Reasons we can not authenticate your document
When we cannot authenticate your document, we’re going to notify you written down.
We can not authenticate papers for the following reasons:
- papers with no initial signature or seal (as an example, simple photocopies)
- papers with unknown seals or with signatures we can not validate
- spiritual papers (for instance, baptismal certificates, spiritual wedding certificates, or any other papers released with a spiritual organizations)
- papers granted by unrecognized academic organizations
- glued papers
- laminated papers
- papers covered with any substance that will ensure it is hard to put a stamp in it
We are able to decrease verification if:
- the information of the document is misleading
- the document or the verification procedure works extremely well for fraudulent, unlawful or deceptive purposes (we might refer suspected instances of fraudulence could be introduced towards the appropriate police force authorities for research)
Intending to make use of your document in Canada?
To be used in Canada, many papers do not require verification. We only authenticate foreign general general general public papers that were finalized and sealed by an embassy that is foreign high commission or consulate in Canada.
Verify your document’s needs. Talk with the Canadian institution (e.g. Agency or university) asking for your document.
We try not to charge a charge to authenticate papers.
The processing that is current is:
20 company times
through the time the demand is sent to our workplace. You need to soon add up to 5 company times for mailing time.
We try not to provide expedited thereforelutions so be sure to prepare your request appropriately.
Processing can simply take much longer if:
- we must contact you with questions about your demand
- we do not have a specimen (this is certainly, a good example) of this signature on file (as an example, due to the fact document is old)
We shall notify you on paper whenever we can not authenticate upon going back your document.
Provincial and territorial verification solutions
Some provinces and territories provide verification solutions pertaining to documents that are public inside their jurisdictions. These solutions run individually associated with the national government of Canada.
Find additional information concerning the after provincial and authentication that is territorial:
Associated solutions and information
- Engaged and getting married outside Canada
- Statement instead of certification of non-impediment to marriage abroad
- Look at the status of the demand
- Reasons we can not authenticate your document
- If you’re outside Canada
E mail us
Global Affairs Canada Authentication Services Area (JLAC)125 Sussex Drive Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2Canada